Who to Call

Report/investigate problems having to do with nature or the environment.
Choose a jurisdiction or a type of problem.
Or scroll down to see all information.


Air Quality

Sonoma County has two air quality districts, north and south, with different rules & policies: Find your air quality district
Northern Sonoma County Air Pollution Control District (NSCAPCD) See website for information
Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) See website for information
AirNow.gov : EPA Air Quality Index (AQI) measured at official air monitoring sites. Map of current local air quality conditions.
PurpleAir.com: Citizen air quality monitoring sites. Map of current local air quality conditions.


Sonoma County has two regional water quality districts, north and south: Find your water quality district
North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (NCRWQCB) For problems affecting water quality:
San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board (SFBRWQCB) Report a Problem with a water body.
California Dept of Fish & Wildlife For dumping, erosion or a spill into streams that is in progress, call the Hot Tip line 1-888-334-2258.
Permit Sonoma Reporting of illegal spills or dumping.
Russian Riverkeeper-Get in Touch For problems within the Russian River watershed.


Illegal dumping: leaving waste on public or private land without authorization, or dumping into storm drains, sewers, and waterways
Zero Waste Sonoma See website for contacts

Wild Animal Rescue

Wildlife that are sick, injured or orphaned
Sonoma County Wildlife Rescue Hotline at (707) 526-9453
Found a sick or injured adult deer?
California Dept. of Wildlife Cal-Tip hotline at (888) 334-2258, (ext 0).
Ill, injured or orphaned black-tail fawns
Fawn Rescue See website for contacts
Sonoma Coast: The Marine Mammal Center responds to stranded animals along the California coast from San Luis Obispo to Mendocino.
The Marine Mammal Center Hotline at (415) 289-7325
If you have found a sick, injured or orphaned bird, here’s what to do next…
Bird Rescue Center See website for instructions
Who to call if you find an injured, ill, or orphaned native songbird (only).
Native Songbird Care & Conservation Text us at (707) 484-6502
Report a bee swarm for safe removal.
Sonoma County Beekeepers Association See website for instructions.

Vegetation Protection

Trees and brush are regularly cut back from roads. State Highways, including Highways 1, 12, 37, 101, 116, 121, and 128 are part of an interconnected state highway system, built and maintained by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans). All other public roads are maintained by the County or cities.
Caltrans Vegetation Removal State highway vegetation removal plan and procedures.
Sonoma County Roadside Vegetation Submit request for vegetation removal.
Comprehensive Tree Ordinance Update When the Tree Protection and Oak Woodland Ordinances are approved in May 2024, there will be more oversight for tree removal requested with permits.

Sonoma County

Sonoma County Code Compliance Complaint Make a code violation complaint regarding suspected building, zoning, grading, or well & septic issues.
Sonoma County Environmental Enforcement The District Attorney’s office is responsible for following up on environmental crimes
CA Office of Emergency Services Report a spill of hazardous materials.

Santa Rosa

Reporting Environmental Crimes Hotline for crimes in progress
Spill Reporting Tree Protection Criteria
Santa Rosa Creek Stewardship Program Timely and effective response to citizens’ concerns regarding City creeks.

Other Cities

City of Petaluma Report a Problem